Thursday, September 3, 2015

Butthurt...Literally!

Natty's Log 9.3.2015
4 mg LGD-4033 (Olympus UK Legend)
10 mg MK-2866 (Olympus UK Ostarine)
14 mg GW-501516 (Olympus UK Cardarine)

I Hurt My Butt

Last night, I was standing at a bar and eating beef tacos and quaffing a light lager. I put my right leg back a bit to stretch my iliopsoas a bit. About an hour later as I was getting out of my car, something in my right glute region cramped up very painfully. I tried to "walk it off", but a couple hours later by nightfall my gluteus medius (and maybe minimus) were in such pain that I could barely stand or move.

This morning I felt almost as bad upon waking, but moving around seemed to clear it up within 20 minutes. I am feeling much better now. But I'm very bothered by the fact that I could be so incapacitated so suddenly and for so long.

I was going to squat today, but now that seems like not such a good idea. I have to move a bunch of stuff out of a big truck this afternoon anyway.

I wonder if this sudden pain has to with me releasing all kinds of knots in my thighs these past couple of days. I think it's probably the fact that I tried to stretch out my hip flexors. I think I hypercontracted my glutes in that stretch.

Maybe because I haven't lifted anything heavy in a few days (deload week) my glutes got a chance to get really rested. So they were able to fire a lot harder than I anticipated and thus hyper-contract. I'm just pulling stuff out my butt here. Just trying to figure out why this happened.

It's Probably The Deadlift's Fault

In order to be good at deadlifts, one has to practice deadlifting. But the actual strength for the deadlift is built by the squat. Practicing the deadlift refines squatting strength (which is general physical preparation for every lower body strength and power movement). But the deadlift itself shifts stress away from the quadriceps and shunts the stress toward the various glute muscles and hamstrings and the lumbar muscles. Some think this is a good thing, but I would argue that it makes the deadlift an unbalanced movement far inferior to the squat for building strength and much more dangerous to the lower back and hip muscles.

The deadlift is a competitive display of power, but it is not nearly as effective as the squat for building hip and thigh strength. It is a taxing lift that really shouldn't be trained too often with challenging weight.

And now I'm thinking that I predisposed my gluteus medius to injury by going too hard on the deadlift in the latter part of the last cycle.

A Chance To Build Up

There may be a hidden blessing here. This injury forces me to take a few more days off...which gives the SARMs that much more time to build up in my system before I start lifting heavy.

I'm 184 this afternoon, after a meal. That's a little disconcerting. I am hurt, getting smaller, and just feel like I should be doing something to reverse that trend.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't Most INTPs Have Borderline Personality Disorder?

Here Jordan Peterson says (at 4:03) the borderline personality disorder patient is able to "strategize, abstract, but not implement&quo...