Friday, September 25, 2015

9.24.2015/Thu-pm
Bench Press, touch and go, first rep paused till 225
45 x 10
135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 2
245 x 1
255 x 1
265 x 1
270 x 1 x 3
One-Arm DB Row, supinated 100 x 12L/12R x 4

I don't know why I fight this reality: my bench is best with three times per week, but my squat starts to stall if I train it more than twice per week. Maybe that will change once I get on the Ghar1ne (MK 677). But right now there is just no way I progress with this daily squatting bullshit.

What has almost always worked for me (when I was fresh enough at the start of the program) is Smolov.

But I get ahead of myself. I think for a while I really need to dial back my squat frequency to just twice weekly. The glutes and the quadriceps power the squat and deadlift, and those two muscle groups represent the biggest, strongest muscles in the body. So it stands to reason that they would need a bit more recovery time than the pecs, delts, and triceps.

I mean, I'm looking at my quads right now. They are these huge slabs of muscle covering two feet of my thickest bones. I don't think my pecs, delts, and tris combined are as massive as my quads. And my glutes are bigger still. I estimate that there is 2-3 times as much muscle mass that needs recovery after the squat than after the bench press.

Furthermore, the squat also taxes the lower back. Not nearly as bad as the deadlift does, but it still fatigues it.

Bench Notes

Anywho...I got a bug up my butt today about getting my bench over 315 ASAP. So I had the goal of getting 270 for a double...even though I just got 265 for a double a couple days ago and 270 for a double really shouldn't be expect till the middle of next week..

So that 270 x 2 just wasn't happening. I got two singles and after a long, long rest (10 minutes) I got another single. I thought about going for one more, but I unracked it and realized that I just didn't have any more energy for pressing. I'm sure the 270 for a double will be there next week, though.

I am weighing a hair over 186 this evening.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't Most INTPs Have Borderline Personality Disorder?

Here Jordan Peterson says (at 4:03) the borderline personality disorder patient is able to "strategize, abstract, but not implement&quo...