Monday, September 12, 2016

I can't stop looking at the videos of myself squatting 405 for doubles without a belt. Almost a year ago I squatted 405 and 415 for singles with a belt and it felt like my head would explode. It's a real thrill finally to be able to support 405 without a belt and to rep it, even if it's only for two at a time.

And, too, consider seven years ago how much weaker I was at 175 when I good morning low bar squatted 405 for a single with a belt.

December 1, 2009


February 9, 2010



October 3, 2015





September 10, 2016





I would have been here a lot sooner if I hadn't had to take time off to get my hyperthyroid condition sorted out. 

But having my thyroid wreck my body gave me a chance to reflect. Even when I was training and on the LGD and RAD, I was training way too often. Not only was I thwarting my progress, I was destroying my ability to function normally.

In the past, it was the perma-inflammation in my knees. This last year, my overtraining also manifested in large, tough taut bands in my quads and along my IT band. I was at the point where it was impossible to locomote with anything more forceful than a medium-paced walk. 

I fell victim to the wrongheaded attempt to superimpose the frequency necessary for weightlifting to the much higher tension heavier and slower strength lifts. 

I have since read how some of the strongest raw powerlifters ever -- even with all the gear they were surely on -- trained the bench and the squat each once per week. Stan Efferding alternates the squat and the deadlift so he only trains each every other week. And he has squatted and pulled more raw than just about any man who has ever lived.

My progress has re-ignited with benching midweek and then squatting on Sunday or Saturday. I pull only once every second or third week. I could probably get away with benching twice as often, but I'm not sure it's worth the risk. It seems to lead to faster progress, but little annoying overuse injuries also start cropping up: a slight twinge in a shoulder, a clicking feeling in an elbow, stuff like that.

With squats, there is no significant improvement with higher frequency, but taut band do redevelop faster and knees stay inflamed more. 

Speaking of squat frequency and knee pain, initially even once a week was causing some knee problems, but I think that was just me getting used to squatting heavy again after a multi-month layoff because of my hyperthyroid. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't Most INTPs Have Borderline Personality Disorder?

Here Jordan Peterson says (at 4:03) the borderline personality disorder patient is able to "strategize, abstract, but not implement&quo...